HOW TO ACQUIRE A KRA PIN.
March 3, 2021
A pin is a an identification number that used during a transaction to satisfy that the person involved in the transaction is indeed the person identified as part of the transaction. The pin is usually important to secure the transaction.
According to pin transactions, a pin can either be an individual pin or an artificial pin which is applicable in a business, trust or a club that is put together by a certain group of persons. A KRA pin is a private number used to identify one for specific purposes in the transaction with the Kenya revenue authority or the government service providers. This is to enable one to prove that he is indeed a citizen of Kenya before any activity with the government.
Requirements for the registration of a KRA Pin.
- One is required to provide their names in full. That includes their first and last names. This will be entered into the KRA website as it will enable to know whether the person applying is a Kenyan citizen.
- One will be required to produce a National Identification Card. This will provide the ID number which is required to register one for the KRA pin. In case one does not have the ID, one can use their alien Identification number to register.
The ID will also be used to get the date of birth. This is needed in order to avoid fraud from people giving the wrong date of birth to the KRA officials which might get one in trouble and even with the law when it comes to issues concerning tax payments.
- Phone number and email address is also required in the registration of the KRA Pin. These are usually required since the phone number is needed as it will be used to pay for the registration of the pin while the email address is the one that KRA will use to send the copy of the certificate. The Email address will also be used in the verification the OTP (One Time Password) hence this makes it important for one to give a valid and working phone number and email address.
- For one to get the KRA Pin, they should provide the area where they live; town or city, county and district. This should be the current place where one lives and not upcountry or the countryside area.
- One is also required to provide their postal address and code. This is usually recommended where one has one. In the event where one doesn’t have neither a postal code nor address, he or she should write “00” on the form for registration.
- After providing the above information while registering, one is required to complete the registration by indicating the town they are currently in.
Reasons for a KRA Pin.
- One is usually required to have a KRA Pin number when employed or looking for a job. The pin is usually used when the government wants to get its tax.
- KRA Pin is needed for one to do business as this will be used to identify one in business. It is usually required when starting a business as the KRA Pin has every information of any individual thus reducing workload of providing information when starting a business.
- When one has a rental income, he or she is required to have this pin. This enables the government to collect its taxes.
- This pin is also required to apply for a HELB Loan. The loan is usually given to students who are already in tertiary education. This is usually given to enable students complete their education in order to achieve their dreams.
- The KRA Pin is usually also used in registration of properties; land registration, business and vehicles registrations, business names registrations, VAT (Value Added Tax) registration and many others by the government.
Steps followed to acquire KRA Pin.
- Go to browser and enter the address itax.kra.go.ke which will go directly to the iTax homepage to get started with the registration. The homepage is the one whre the process of registration is kick started.
- On the page one can choose the button for New PIN registration button on the left side of the page.
This is where one goes when he or she needs to get the KRA Pin for the first time. This helps to make sure that KRA knows that this is the first time and confirm that no one has ever registered with your details.
- The above will direct you into a fresh page that is the genesis of application of the KRA Pin. It will provide two options but since this is a personal KRA Pin, one should click individual taxpayer and then click on next. The owner of the pin should choose online application and also click the next button.
- This will lead to a new page which will require one to fill carefully where it will inquire your citizenship, profession, ID number and also date of birth as the ID card has indicated. This is important and one needs to give their correct details at will be used for any transaction with the government.
- One is required to fill in their address; physical and email address. KRA will send a code to your email address. This will enable the government to contact you when there is an issue with the KRA Pin or a situation involving tax issues.
- One will also be required to fill in the type of their tax duty. This will be under the income tax resident where one will fill date of registration and be directed on a new page where they will fill their employment particulars.
- One is then to open their email to get the code for confirmation of registration of the KRA Pin. The owner should fill the code on a box that will be provided so as to get the Pin. This is to satisfy that the one registering for the Pin is a human being and not a robot that was automatically enhanced.
- One will be given an arithmetic problem that they should solve. After solving the problem, click on the next button where one will get a pin certificate.
The person should click on the certificate to download it on your device. This is needed for the site to ensure one is a person and not just an automated application that wants to get the pin.
KRA Pin is something that is essential to every adult in Kenya as the document is usually asked for in many transactions either with an individual or the government. One should have it so as not to be passed by opportunities where one will be required to provide the KRA Pin certificate. The KRA Pin is a document that is vital to any adult in Kenya as it will be required to identify one as a citizen of Kenya.